This position is located in the Mineral Deposit Research Unit (MDRU) which sits within Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences (EOAS). The Mineral Deposit Research Unit is a collaborative joint-venture between the minerals industry and the University of British Columbia which seems to solve mineral industry challenges through research and training. This role is responsible for the promotion and communication of MDRU events, courses and information to EOAS, Faculty of Science, UBC , MDRU member organizations and the global mining and exploration industry. This position will also work with the Director on MDRU’s training initiative to significantly increase the education and professional development opportunities that MDRU provides to both industry and graduate students.
The incumbent creates appealing content for MDRU’s website, print materials, social media/digital communications and through events, courses and social media. The incumbent exercises initiative and sound judgment in advising and providing expertise and guidance to the MDRU Director on all facets of media relations through the implementation of best practises both in the Faculty of Science and the University. The incumbent will assist with the dissemination of research results to industry partners and stakeholders.
This position reports directly to the MDRU Director and works with all MDRU Research Associates, MDRU staff, faculty associated with MDRU and MDRU graduate students and a wide range of stakeholders as well as the MDRU Business and Research Manager.
- Meet and liaise with key individuals in the minerals industry to promote the benefits of MDRU membership.
- Meet and set up meetings with key individuals in the minerals industry to promote participation in MDRU research projects and identify project opportunities for MDRU
- Develop strategies with the MDRU board and MDRU director to recruit and retain MDRU members
- Liaise with the MDRU Board and Director to identify key short, medium and long term research and funding strategies.
- Liaise with the UBC Development office to communicate key strategic funding initiatives for MDRU
- Manage research project communications and ensure that research activities are aligning with research agreements and stakeholder needs
- Develop and execute clear communication strategies for MDRU to engage with MDRU members through events and training activities.
- Participates in the strategic planning of MDRU event, such as: courses, conferences and trade shows; Schedules and manages event execution including registration and other related logistics.
- Plans and executes marketing campaigns across all marketing channels resulting in raised brand awareness.
- Takes the lead in researching, writing, sourcing images and posting content to the MDRU social media accounts, working with the EOAS Communications team to ensure content is integrated across all channels.
- Supports Faculty-level and program-specific promotions for MDRU by writing, proofreading, editing and producing e-newsletters, marketing materials, collateral and presentations
- Researches, arranges photos/videos and writes articles related to MDRU students, faculty, staff or alumni to promote achievements and highlight stories.
- Ensures that messages are supportive of and consistent with UBC marketing and communication strategies, and liaises with University groups (e.g. social media meet-up) to stay current on marketing tools and campaigns.
- Identifies potential media stories, plans and coordinates media interviews, as required
- Liaises with vendors (e.g. graphic designers, marketing suppliers and mailing houses), as required.
- Manages the content on the MDRU website and intranet using the content management system.
- Enforces Canadian Copyright guidelines with use of external multimedia.
- Manages reports monitoring media coverage and social media engagement, and provides recommendation to MDRU Director on trends, adjustment in tactics and promotion opportunities.
- Support the MDRU Board of Directors with administrative duties.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Reports directly to the MDRU Director and works work considerable latitude under broad directives from the MDRU Director and MDRU Board. Takes direction from the Head of EOAS.
Will supervise event and course staff as required.
Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline. Minimum of four years of related experience with at least two years of experience in business analysis or project management, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- University degree or diploma in marketing, communication or related education will be preferred.
- Working knowledge of contemporary marketing strategies and practices. Demonstrated experience working in a professional capacity.
- Demonstrated success creating appealing content for website, print materials, social media/digital communications
- Proven success developing and executing clear communication strategies.
- Demonstrated success developing and implementing marketing campaigns to increase brand awareness.
- 1-2 years of experience working in or with the minerals industry is an asset.
- Solid experience in event management and course administration.
- Demonstrated success in developing productive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Outstanding communication skills, Ability to articulate, thoughtful, open and receptive communicator, verbally and in writing. Skilled in drafting and polishing documents using clear and concise business English.
- High degree of comfort with handling new situations and acquiring new skills, including technical skills.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment while maintaining a customer focused approach and exercising judgment, tact, discretion, and diplomacy.
- Outstanding organizational skills to efficiently anticipate problems and issues and plan ahead in an ever changing environment.
- Knowledge of University policies, procedures, governance and administrative systems is an asset.
- Demonstrated experience with effectively marketing and promoting events, products, services and organizations via social media, e.g. LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook.
- Competency in word processing, spreadsheet and database applications, and ability to learn new software.
- To be creative and proactive, to prioritize, solve problems, meet deadlines and work effectively under changing conditions and pressure to meet deadlines.
For more information about this posting and to submit your application, please visit https://ubc.wd10.myworkdayjobs.com/ubcstaffjobs/job/UBC-Vancouver-Campus/MDRU-Communications-and-Member-Services-Manager_JR8967-1
(Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on August 22,2022)